Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Everlasting Night


So soon now I lay me down to sleep forever
Never again to wake up together
An eternal night is how it will seem
But in all that time, not a single dream

Suns grow cold and beliefs forsaken
And through it all, I will not awaken
Years in billions pass by uncounted
With all my senses fully blunted

Wont be resting on some fairy cloud
Aren’t any noises that are too loud
Never gonna be either hot or cold
No more worries about getting old

There’s no alarms that I could hear
Not one old fear can reappear
Memories no longer get me upset
For now there’s nothing to forget

No news can bring me any grief
I rest so secure with no beliefs
Wont wake up when you roll over
Got no problem staying clean and sober

Can’t decide to trade rhyme for reason
Not concerned with form or function
Wont be scared of background silence
Don’t feel one pang of nagging conscience

All my thoughts so long since faded
Effects of my actions all fully dissipated
A few molecules of me swirl in the dust
Though I, too, swore ‘In God We Trust’

No more trying to save time
No career ladder left to climb
Don’t remember when I fell asleep
Wont wake up with the creeps

Now I’m bound to miss eternity
But there’s nothing more can ever bother me
Delivered from each and all my cares
Never to awaken, and no more nightmares

No comments:

Post a Comment