Sunday, January 2, 2011

Know That I Loved Life


Know that I stood in the painted caves in which they dwelt and took a bit of them away
I felt them as they stood behind me, hands upon my shoulder, helping to point my way
I saw fully my own short cycle in the informal death of insects and other forms of life
I knew eternity in the long pause between metronomic, meditative breaths

Know that I have felt life so very strongly that it has brought me to tears
I have loved and been loved for all of my best years
I have howled to the wind, the stars and the vast cold emptiness above
I caught sideways glances at the eternity into which my consciousness always slid

Know that my nostrils quivered and I needed to run off in the cool twilight
I understood that I wasted the vast proportion of the tiny time allotted to me
I watched those who gave me life as they showed me how I, too, must pass away
I struggled with and worried over unimportant issues, for far too many years

Know that I take the shame of certain actions with me as stones I cannot grind
I thank all of those, anonymous or dear, who always helped me in my blindness
I plunged onwards reckless and without direction too full of selfish cynicism
I came very late upon some small understanding of those who just quietly do what is right

Know that I could not accept my weakness and imperfections for far too long
But I was engulfed by the silence between the clock ticks on a Winter afternoon
I had to totally lose my way to realize I had never considered where I was going
I only began to escape my emptiness when at last it began to fill me up
         
Know that I was ever grateful for the sentience blindly granted me by the life force
I worshiped the wondrous cosmos but shunned all forms of religious orthodoxy
I struggled to express myself as intensely as the marlin, the tuna and the dolphin
I was taught to think and to question only to be forced to accept and to play along

Know that I believed in comfort and efficiency always proceeding hand in hand
I am ashamed of our unending commitment to hate and death through war
I am embarrassed by our thoughtless, foolish trampling of this sustaining earth
I believe that we are far too many now, to be so reckless, wasteful and error-prone

Know that I do not strive to attain so-called heaven and have no fear of any hell
I believe my thoughts and actions will gradually dissolve within the great entropy, over time
I fear the permanent loss of my mind more than being dead forever

No comments:

Post a Comment