Saturday, December 4, 2010

Not Going To Make It


there are times when I realize that I’m actually not going to make it
          in the afternoon when it is quiet, save for the ticking of a clock
then it’s twenty years ago or twenty years from now, but it is all the same
          and I’ll be gone for a long time, quite soon, in the larger scheme of things

the sun is shining across the mountains and on down into the room
          and things just pause a moment as I work upon my knees
I know for sure just then that I am not really going to make it
          and although I might shed a tear, it’s not for the fear, but for its beauty

in those unexpected times when we pause within a short reflection
          we sometimes catch a glimpse of, as far as we can see
then I saw myself as if it were from a different point in time
          I saw again the boy, this man thought was gone so long ago, elated

and in that same moment the sunset gently faded
          as the man now weak and old tried to remember from where he came
then I knew with certainty that I was not going to make it
          but still, time had passed me by quite slowly and left a quiet comfort

while the measured clock ticks guide the afternoon sun across the room
          I have nothing left to say, save a long and drawn out sigh
though there are many times that this illusion still vibrates complete
          far stronger are the moments when the real light shows me the way

in between the ordinary and the things which change our lives
          flows a deeper river that we must ford from time to time
as we stretch our legs to start upon another journey
          the shadow of the hand of time momentarily sweeps across us

so what time have we really saved even as we count it and where is it even now
          since in a stream of disjoint instants, we see that we cannot make it
there are those brief and lucid moments when I realize who I am
          a small boy frightened by not remembering never being of this world

slowly do the dust motes float through the slanting sun
          they have always held a place for me in their silent dance 
in between my feeble wheezings there is a parting of the clouds
          and far off in the distance I see clearly that I could never make it

in the quiet stillness that moves in to soothingly surround us
          after all the mundane chatter dies away, then it becomes so clear
in the million years before I came here and in the first million next to come
          I see that even those times are lost in the billions piled up on either side

as I realize that the sun never really pauses in my little room
          so I note with some sadness that there is also nothing I can stop and hold

No comments:

Post a Comment