Friday, December 31, 2010

Always Together, Never Again


We always said we would always be together
          Never dreamed of being one without the other

Always be together, at least in these short lives
          No one can say how we first met or why

Those long hours we spent wrapped in each other
          Always waking up with you so warm by my side

I can imagine my own death and some endless stillness
          But I can never imagine being without you

I see our skeletons intertwined on a quiet, hidden hilltop
          Every year we both bleach away just a little more

Always together and slowly fading away as one
          So where now is that love which never ended?

We were made for each other, as we always said
          And when each is finished is that purpose simply quenched?

The joy that you give me that helps light this world
          Without any living memories, tell me where is it found?

The peace and security we create for each other
          Tell me how will it be when we both are gone?

Always together through death into an unimaginable future
          Clinging to each other as we bob towards the unavoidable abyss

Yet we choose to live our lives in love and uncertainty, but not in fear
          The irrational choice of the rational facing this vast unknown

There is no armor but our love, in this long and hopeless struggle
          Our only hope springs from the light we radiate from within

And as we slip away and our hands grow cool though we are touching still
          We can no longer plan for the comfort of each other

Always together, but where were you those first 14 billion years?
          And I fear that you will leave me once again for an even longer time

No comments:

Post a Comment