Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Faux-Golden Years


For now I am ready to retire and become that cute and cuddly grandpa
But my prostate has swelt up like an orange and I need that quintuple bypass
I wish to take my time now and to stop and smell those lovely roses
Yet I am 30 pounds overweight and my blood pressure is way too goddamn high
I look forward to the things I worked so much for all those long, hard years
But I have lost my hair and my back just plain hurts me every day and all the time
I plan to see all those places I have only dreamed of during all my work-filled life
However, I cannot walk, even quite slowly, without wheezing and turning red

I want to take some time to sort things out and make a bit of sense of it all
But my memory fails rapidly and I find simple explanations really are the best
I look forward to great adventures in the freedom of the open road
I poke along in my bloated RV between those safe, costly and sterile campgrounds
I finally get to spend some time with my family and my grandchildren
Turns out I don’t really care for them and they don’t have much time for me
I am excited to make new friends and live a rich and rewarding social life
I wear little diapers because I leak a bit after each of my 15 daily pees

I want to travel lightly, looking for excitement, like I did so long ago
I go nowhere without several pairs of glasses and all of my prescription meds
I collect my thoughts and refine my experiences into a unique vision of my own
I am viewed as a simple dodderer, quite inconsequential and totally irrelevant
I will finally spend some time communing with nature and learning of myself
Hopefully, my hearing aid does not feedback too loudly or have its battery go dead
I plan to hike to the many places I have noticed driving by, where people never go
My cardio and knees are simply gone and I tire quickly in the grocery store

I will hit the hot spots and go to all the famous beaches
Laws may have to be passed to keep my ugly body safely hidden from public view
I hope to gain a new perspective regarding our lives and our times
The world moves so fast around me I just want to keep out of its way
I will stand up for my rights with the others of my storied generation
I mean to attend those creepy Day of the Living Dead demonstrations
I can spend my time helping teach the children to know right from wrong
I am just another body to be looked after, according to their teachers

I try blending in, but my wrinkles and my thin white hair set me far apart
People blow right by me though I walk just as fast as I deem it sensible
I can easily fall asleep by friends and family with my mouth lolling open
If I have a good bowel movement I judge the day to have been a pretty good success
My thin and shiny skin has large dark blotches in among the spreading wrinkles
My yellow toenails get cut twice a year whether I can see them or not

I love getting out of doors and riding in a golf cart while smoking a cigar
I prefer eating dinner at 4 pm to avoid any indigestion when I try to sleep at 9
I talk to people I haven’t seen for years but they look at me quite strangely
Each new diagnosis yields a flood of flattering attention that brings meaning to my life

No comments:

Post a Comment